‘Reading transports curious minds to wondrous realms of the imagination. It determines success not only in the classroom, but in life.’
This year at Hadrian Academy we have introduced Accelerated Reader (AR) for all children in year 4,5,6 and those who have completed the Bug Club scheme in year 3. Highly popular and successful for over 25 years, Accelerated Reader (AR) is a powerful tool for monitoring and managing independent reading practice.
AR now has a beautifully redesigned student interface with improved navigation and tablet compatibility, and has the ability to:
- Personalize and guide independent reading practice.
- Develop lifelong readers and learners.
- Tap into unlimited access to all quizzes and enjoy online support.
The 5 steps to reading success.
It’s all about practice. AR encourages substantial differentiated reading practice to create strong readers. Based on each student’s independent reading level, AR helps teachers set personalized goals for each student, and guide students to books that are difficult enough to keep them challenged, but not so difficult as to cause frustration.
In addition, AR helps teachers monitor students’ vocabulary growth, literacy skills development, and other reading skills.
- Determine reading level. First, a student’s optimal reading level is determined through the STAR Reading Enterprise assessment. This assessment suggests a range of book levels for each student called the “zone of proximal development”, or ZPD. Children should begin reading books that have a level at the lower end of their zpd and gradually move up the range in order to make optimum progress.
- Set practice goals. Teachers support children to set individualized reading practice goals based on reading quantity, quality, and difficulty and they can then monitor progress toward those goals.
- Personalised practice. Personalised reading practice means students read books of interest at their own reading level. AR BookFinder makes it easy to find the perfect book.
- Students take an AR Quiz. AR offers more than 150,000 quizzes of three types on both fiction and nonfiction titles. Students can take their AR Quizzes, during their daily reading sessions on laptops, PCs as well as through the AR Student App available on iPads.
- Receive instant feedback. AR provides teachers with immediate information, helping them monitor the comprehension skills of each student and inform further instruction or intervention. Students and parents can get feedback on request to help motivate success
To find out more about Accelerated Reading please click on the link below to view the presentation.
Topmarks top tips for listening to your child read.